Aggressively defending your rights at some of the most reasonable rates around.
  1. Home
  2.  — 
  3. Criminal Defense
  4.  — 
  5. Traffic Tickets
  6.  — How Can I Get My Drivers’ License Back Once It’s Been Suspended?

How Can I Get My Driver’s License Back Once It’s Been Suspended?

The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles, or DMV, can suspend your driver’s license for a number of reasons, including the following:

  • Speeding
  • Reckless driving
  • DWI
  • Refusing to submit to a blood or breath test
  • Accumulating excess points on your driver’s license

Contact our North Carolina Traffic Lawyer

If your license is suspended, you will be notified in writing. Your suspension period will vary based on the reason for your suspension.

No matter the length and reason of your suspension, you’re likely wondering how you can restore your license.

Reinstating Your License In North Carolina

To restore your license or lift your suspension, you will need to take the following steps:

  • First, you will need to physically visit a North Carolina DMV office to pay the required restoration and service fees. The typical restoration fee is $65, but if your license reinstatement follows a DWI charge, you will pay $130. There is also a required service fee of $50. You may pay these fees with cash, a check, or money order.
  • Next, you will need to apply for a new driver’s license. Depending upon the reason or reasons for your license suspension, you may have to retake the written test and possibly even the driving test.
  • If your license has been suspended as part of a criminal sentence or for a nondriving-related reason, like failing to make child support payments, you may have to take additional steps to restore your license. For instance, you may be ordered to pay court fees, fines, or complete paperwork proving that you’re eligible for license reinstatement.

Once your license is reinstated, any points you’ve accrued are canceled.

Get Help With License Reinstatement In North Carolina

Raleigh driver’s license reinstatement lawyer can help you manage the license reinstatement process. If you find yourself in need of assistance, attorney Cotten can help. He has served hundreds of satisfied clients through Wake County, Johnston, Harnett, Orange, Sampson, Lee and Chatham counties. Give him a call at 984-600-3090 or click over to the main page to chat with a legal assistant.