Aggressively defending your rights at some of the most reasonable rates around.
  1. Home
  2.  — 
  3. Counties Served
  4.  — Orange County

Orange County, North Carolina, Traffic Ticket Lawyer

Traffic Attorney In Orange County, North Carolina

Did you get a ticket for speeding or other traffic violation? Before you decide to pay the fine, reach out to Cotten Law Firm. Other options may be available to resolve your case. Our Orange County traffic ticket lawyer will examine the facts and discuss possible steps forward. Paying your ticket is admitting guilt, and doing so can result in long-lasting consequences, like points on your driving record or an increased insurance premium. We can seek a favorable outcome, such as a dismissal or reduced charges, which could help avoid or minimize penalties.

We recognize that getting a ticket can be a stressful experience. Many people might choose to pay their fines to avoid the confusing justice system. Fortunately, you do not have to navigate the process on your own. We will be your dedicated advocate inside and outside the courtroom, providing honest and straightforward counsel at every step. Attorney Jeremy Cotten, a Fuquay-Varina native, genuinely cares about protecting the rights and futures of the people he serves. He will deliver personalized service, get to know you, and build a legal strategy based on your needs and goals.

Ready to get started on your defense? Contact us at 984-600-3090. We have one of the lowest traffic ticket attorney fees in North Carolina.

What Happens If I Choose To Pay My Traffic Ticket?

You might decide to simply pay the fine for your citation and have the matter behind you. However, when you do that, you accept responsibility and penalties for the offense. You also give up your right to challenge the ticket and seek an optimal outcome.

Although paying the ticket is easy (the court gives you several options for doing so) and gets things over with right away, that simple action can have consequences that affect you for years. Depending on what you were cited for, the DMV will assess points to your driving record.

Examples of North Carolina’s driver’s license points include:

  • 5 points for aggressive driving
  • 4 points for illegal passing
  • 3 points for running a red light
  • 2 points for other moving violations

If you get 12 points in 3 years, the DMV will suspend your driving privileges for 60 days. If your driver’s license is reinstated and you get 8 points in 3 years, you will be subject to a 6-month suspension. The third time you accumulate a certain number of points within a specified period, you will lose your driving privileges for 12 months.

Like the impact on your driver’s license, paying the fine for a ticket will also affect your insurance premium. Certain traffic offenses have values attached to them. The more serious the violation, the greater the points.

Points can affect your insurance premium as follows:

  • 1 point can lead to a 30% rate increase
  • 2 points can lead to a 45% rate increase
  • 4 points can lead to an 80% rate increase
  • 8 points can lead to a 195% rate increase
  • 10 points can lead to a 260% rate increase
  • 12 points can lead to a 340% rate increase

In some situations, paying the fine might be the way to go. Still, please speak with our traffic ticket lawyer in Orange County before remitting payment. We offer a free initial consultation to evaluate your case.

If you ignore your traffic ticket, meaning you do not pay the fine or contest the citation in court, you can face additional consequences. The court can issue a Failure to Appear against you and will notify the DMV. The DMV will suspend your driver’s license until your matter is resolved. Depending on the severity of your case, the court may also issue an order for your arrest.

What Happens If I Contest My Traffic Ticket In North Carolina?

Challenging your citation can allow you to seek a more favorable outcome in your case. When you contest the ticket, you can present your arguments as to why the ticket was unwarranted or should be reduced.

You can either present your case to the District Attorney’s office or in court. When you speak with the prosecutor, you must convince them that a dismissal or reduction is warranted. This is a delicate process because you want to tell your side of the story, but the prosecutor may use anything you say as evidence against you.

Taking your case to court means presenting your arguments before a judge. During the trial, you must follow the rules of evidence and court procedures. A misstep can adversely affect your case. As with paying your ticket, being found guilty of the traffic violation can result in points on your record. Unfortunately, if you plan to handle your case alone, no one in the court can give you advice and guidance on how to proceed.

At Cotten Law Firm, our Orange County traffic ticket attorney is here to help you. We will clearly explain the legal process and your options.

We proudly serve the people of:

  • Carrboro
  • Chapel Hill
  • Hillsborough
  • Mebane

Whatever course your case takes, we are prepared to aggressively defend you and seek a favorable result.

Possible ways of resolving a ticket include getting a:

  • Speed reduction,
  • Improper equipment reduction,
  • Prayer for judgment (PJC), or
  • Dismissal.

Our team negotiates with prosecutors and presents arguments before judges. We also go to court on behalf of our clients.

We can assist in various traffic ticket cases, including:

Schedule A Free Consultation With Our Firm

Some people think that hiring an attorney is pricier than paying the fine for a ticket. That’s not necessarily the case. The long-term effects of a traffic violation conviction can have a heftier cost. At Cotten Law Firm, we use various technologies and systems to offer reasonable prices. We have some of the lowest traffic ticket rates in North Carolina.

For help from our Orange County traffic ticket lawyer, please call us at 984-600-3090 or contact us online today.


Orange County Courthouse Information

106 E Margaret Lane

Hillsborough, NC 27278

(919) 644-4500

Monday through Friday: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm