If you have received a speeding ticket or another type of traffic ticket in North Carolina, you might be tempted to admit guilt, pay your fine, and move on. However, it would be a mistake to do this before looking into all of your available options. An experienced North Carolina criminal defense attorney can assess your case and help you evaluate your options, including ways to potentially reduce your charges and penalties.
Here are just a handful of the many ways a North Carolina criminal defense attorney can help you if you face a speeding ticket.
- Inform You of Your Options
- An attorney can thoroughly review your charges, as well as your record, to consider your options. We will review all options with you so you understand the penalties, including any potential consequences on your driving record, before you plead guilty, accept a plea deal, or take any other action in your case.
- Negotiate a Prayer for Judgment Continued (PJC)
- An attorney can negotiate a PJC for you. This would result in a guilty plea for the speeding violation, but the violation likely would not appear on your DMV or insurance records.
- Negotiate Reduced Charges
- An attorney can also negotiate to reduce your speeding ticket to a lesser moving violation or even a non-moving violation, depending on the circumstances of your case. A reduced charge will not only save you on fees for your speeding ticket, but it can reduce the number of points you receive on your driving record and help you avoid paying high insurance premiums.
- Represent You in Court
- Your attorney can represent your interests in court. We are prepared to investigate your case, cross-examine the arresting officer and any witnesses, and defend you against your charges.
If you receive a speeding ticket and admit guilt without considering all of your options, you may face higher fines, court costs, points on your driver’s license, higher car insurance rates, and even a loss of your license. Because the consequences can be more severe than they appear at first glance, it is vital to work with an experienced attorney who can help you reduce the potential negative outcome of your ticket.
Contact Jeremy Cotten
If you find yourself in need of assistance, Attorney Jeremy Cotten can help. He has served hundreds of clients through Wake, Johnston, Harnett, Orange, Sampson, Lee, and Chatham Counties and is ready to meet with you to discuss your ticket. Give him a call or head to the main page to speak with a legal assistant 24 hours a day.